We needed something warm and delicious for Sunday lunch... sun was out but there was a chill in the air. This moorish Cottage Pie filled the whole families tummies, we all wanted more on this chilly day.
- 500g ground beef / vegetarian option can replace with lentils
- x1 onion finely chopped
- x3-4 carrots finely chopped
- x1-2 cups of peas
- chopped celery
- 1kg potatoes
- beef / vegetable stock
- seasoning to taste
- Sautee onion and set aside
- Brown the mince, once done, start adding all the uncooked vegetables and onion and spices to taste. I add a teaspoon of paprika, mustard powder, cup of beef stock, salt to taste and 2-3 bay leaves. I add 2 chopped carrots to the beef mixture and two carrots to the potatoes that gets boiled separately to make the mash for the top.
- for the mash, boil the potatoes and carrots till tender, drain water, add a dollop of butter and a spoon of creme fraiche or yoghurt for extra flavour and salt and pepper. Even a sprinkle of parmesan is delicious. Mash to fine consistency.
- Place meat and vegetable mix in a ovenproof dish, cover with mash and bake in oven for 30min on 180’C. - Once cooked and cooled down, serve & blend for baby to enjoy.
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published